At mass this weekend, Fr. Mason discussed how we all seem to overlook the Advent season and go straight for Christmas without giving it a second thought... but Advent is an equally beautiful season that needs to be celebrated as well! While I am very much looking forward to the Christmas season and everything that comes with it, I will be making more of an effort to enjoy this peaceful and "sobering" (as Father said) time of the year. Don't get me wrong -- I will still be planning for Christmas and all of the giving and quality family time that comes with it, but I will also be taking more time to take in and reflect on the gospel readings!
Speaking of giving, there is absolutely no reason for going broke during Christmas. Contrary to what society believes, the celebration of Christ's birth isn't about expensive electronics and material gifts; in fact, the best gift you could possibly give -- or receive -- is one that comes straight from the heart. One of my favorite ways to show my love for someone is through food. Whether I am taking a meal to a new mom, cooking for family, or surprising my husband by preparing his favorite dish, there is something so satisfying about feeding someone.
That being said, why not consider giving a homemade gift to someone special this year? Take for example these delicious Hot Chocolate and Marshmallow Cookies, which would make a perfect gift for a neighbor, family member, or secret sister.
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 10 marshmallows
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and softened butter until fluffy in texture. Beat in vanilla and eggs.
- In separate bowl, mix remaining dry ingredients (minus marshmallows). Slowly mix to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoon full of mixture onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- While baking, cut marshmallows into halves.
- Remove cookies from oven and immediately add halved marshmallows to top. Let cool and enjoy.
To complete this gift, place cookies into a festive container with packets of hot chocolate and colorful straws!